The BSP Commandments
The laws of movie reviewing as handed down by David (a work in progress):
- The Work Stands Alone – An adaptation is graded on its own terms not on how it is different from the source material.
- Set aside your personal biases – No matter your baggage, the film doesn’t have to carry it.
- Don’t talk about the wanking.
- You are perfectly capable of understanding exactly what a movie means and wants to be and then still not like it.
- You cannot be bullied into changing your personal taste.
- Blade Runner is still awesome – that’s just a fact.
- Any broad statement about ‘The Moviegoing Public’ is almost certainly wrong.
- The passage of time cannot excuse the flaws of the movie.
- You cannot cite The Adventures of Pluto Nash as an example of anything.