BSP Episode 305: Drinking Buddies
Join the gang as they discuss the 2013 film Drinking Buddies:
- Directed by Joe Swanberg
- Written by Joe Swanberg
- Starring Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston and Jason Sudeikis
The film is an entirely-improvised movie from Joe Swanberg who previously did low budget mumblecore movies like Hannah Takes the Stairs. Mumblecore is defined by limited budgets and an emphasis on realistic dialogue and Drinking Buddies is no different, but is characterized by a more famous cast. It’s the story of two friends who work at a Chicago microbrewery and the strange romantic entanglements that can happen between friends.
- Apparently, Jolie’s missing estrogen is to be credited for the lack of feedback in this week’s recording. Great. Blame the ladies.
- Mixed reviews; it was liked but Darrell was “bored s***less.”
- The realistic dialogue and imperfect characters were well-regarded.
- David has a creepy level of appreciation for Anna Kendrick’s hotness.
- These people are drinking beer all the time. Why aren’t they fatter???
- When you go hiking in the woods with a girl and she opens a backpack and inside are two wine glasses, she wants it hard, apparently, according to David.
- Tony knew the movie was improvised going in; David didn’t.
- RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman.
- The acting and characters were the standout parts of this movie. The technical aspects and story weren’t that impressive.
- Hot damn, Jake Johnson’s beard!
- Hot and angry Super Bowl talk; apparently the Seahawks didn’t win the Super Bowl (which is weird because I watched them win). Payton Manning’s sad face is heartbreaking.
Discussing the film in this episode: