BSP Episode 311: Blue is the Warmest Color
Join the gang as they discuss the 2013 film Blue is the Warmest Color.
- Directed by Abdellatif Kechiche
- Written by Abdellatif Kechiche and Ghalia Lacroix
- Starring Léa Seydoux, Adèle Exarchopoulos
After winning the Palme d’Or at Cannes, 2013 was looking to be a good year for Blue is the Warmest Color, a lesbian romance based on a graphic novel by Julie Maroh, the first graphic novel adaptation to ever win at Cannes. However, because of some weird release issues in the U.S., this wasn’t nominated for any Oscars. It was, however, nominated for a Golden Globe. It tells the story of Emma and Adele and their romance over several years.
- In which the gang references the Unified Pixar Theory.
- Fun drinking game for this week’s episode: take a drink every time someone says the word “scissoring.” We claim no responsibility for the ill effects this may cause.
- At one point, this was described as lesbian Twilight by David. However, we can assure you this movie is 100% werewolf free.
- You should be warned this movie is long. And slow moving. And excessive. But other than that…
- Adèle spends a lot of time with her mouth open. A lot.
- Some might say this movie climaxed in hour two.
- This movie is the fantasy destroyer? David discusses further why this movie’s too realistic to be good fantasy.
- Could this movie have done without the sex scenes?
- This movie won the Palme d’Or at Cannes. However, it should be noted the award usually goes to the director but, in this case, it went to the director and the two lead actresses.
- This director sounds like a real asshat.
- Jolie gets strip club lessons. Pro tip (just the tip): don’t eat the buffet.
- Why can’t science invent Bat Shark Repellent?
- The not-so-subtle joy of eating an entire box of Girl Scout cookies at once.
- For those playing at home, these are the number of instances these words were spoken in this episode: scissoring, scissor, or scissored (22); scissor explosion (1); Scissor Man (1); and Idris Elba (2).
Featured in this episode:
- David, A.K.A Scissor Man