BSP Episode 314: American Hustle
Join the gang as they discuss the 2013 film American Hustle
- Directed by David O. Russell
- Written by Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell
- Starring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Jennifer Lawrence, Louis C.K.
American Hustle was billed as the kinder, gentler version of a Scorsese movie. It’s the crime caper about scumbags your mom could love! Look at all the period ‘70s costumes and soundtrack! Nominated for loads of Oscars and winning none, American Hustle is the fictionalized story of the Abscam scandal of the late ‘70s where a con man and his girlfriend are forced to work for the feds to bring down politicians and quite possibly the Mob. Of course, things are complicated when you involve the con man’s wife, a fake Arab Sheik, the mob, and a science oven.
- Free Comic Book Day is coming up the first Saturday in May. Nerds like Tony rejoice!
- On the ever-elusive Woot! bag of crap.
- Parsec Awards nominations are now open. Please don’t nominate us. We beg of you.
- We liked this movie for the most part. Some liked it for the historical content, some for Louis C.K. and some for Jennifer Lawrence.
- Some, however, found it boring when you compare it to the “insisting upon itself” Wolf of Wall Street.
- Fat Christian Bale and braless Amy Adams. Discuss.
- Is this a character movie or a caper movie?
- Why don’t they give awards to funny movies?
- Musicals: terrible, right???
- Stand-up comedy: let’s talk about how Jolie’s right (since she controls the show notes).
Featured in this episode: