Join the gang as they discuss the 2013 film Don Jon.
- Directed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Written by Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Scarlett Johansson, Julianne Moore, Tony Danza, Brie Larson
Don Jon is Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s directorial debut and he also wrote the script. The kid sure has grown up since he keeps showing up in good movies, so much so I only sometimes think about Tommy Solomon from Third Rock from the Sun. He’s been crushing as an actor (Inception, Lincoln, The Dark Knight Rises, Looper), but this one sits more squarely on him as creator. He did well: good movie, surprisingly more depth than we expected, and interesting character developments. JGL plays Jon, a Jersey-fied gym rat with a porn addiction. Then he meets Barbara and he thinks things are really turning around. Then it gets complicated, as it always does.
- Don Jon surprised us by bringing up interesting questions and being much deeper than we anticipated. Surprisingly, it got straight male relationships right. It also has some interesting things to say about the idea of perfection, how adult relationships work, honesty, and all topics widely relatable.
- Watch for the curtains scene. We had a lot to say about it.
- The difference between porn for men and porn for women.
- Tony Danza: the man’s still got it.
- Why New Jersey? Could this movie be set anywhere else?
- Also, Julianne Moore: what an actress.
- Bechdel test and women in movies. Again. Ladies are important, too.
- Google “age of consent.” Trust us. You won’t be disappointed.
- Stop making up dumb elemental materials. Just don’t.
Featured in this episode: