BSP Episode 328: Guardians of the Galaxy
Join the gang as they discuss the 2014 film Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Directed by James Gunn
- Written by James Gunn, Nicole Perlman
- Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio Del Toro, Peter Serafinowicz
Guardians of the Galaxy is the latest Marvel offering and a departure from their typical symphony of explosions that happen while superheroes walk away from them slowly in slow motion. In Guardians, director James Gunn—a St. Louis native—takes on a third tier comic book franchise with almost entirely new characters and takes a stab at doing a Marvel movie like one has never been done before. The results are epic: critically acclaimed, financially successful, and a well-rounded movie that can be enjoyed as an action adventure, a comedy, or both. Packed with stars and with perfect casting of Chris Pratt as the lead, Guardians tells the story of an unlikely band of characters, brought together to keep a powerful orb out of the hands of evil. You know, typical comic book stuff.
- Gencon wrap-up: apparently, that guy didn’t actually die.
- Donate to Sausagefest! Lots of perks available, including some lovely movie posters (donated by Jolie who is in Seattle but still takes the time to write hilarious and awesome show notes for you… you’re welcome.)
- Bold opinions: David says it’s the best of the Marvel movies, hands down. It’s well loved all around.
- Also, Darrell is Groot. Because Groot.
- Highly accessible!
- Rocket is awesome even without a back story!
- This movie felt effortless and didn’t take itself too seriously which is why the story flowed so well and why it was better than other comic book movies.
- Also a big thumbs up to the soundtrack packed with cheesy rock goodness.
Featured in this episode: