BSP Episode 307: Punch Drunk Love
Join the gang as they discuss the 2002 film Punch Drunk Love:
- Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Written by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Starring Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Luis Guzman, Mary Lynn Rajskub
After finding success with Boogie Nights and critical success with Magnolia, Paul Thomas Anderson announced that his next project would be an indie comedy starring Adam Sandler which some thought was a joke. PTA was not joking, however, and this idea turned into Punch Drunk Love, a comedic love story about an emotionally unstable man dealing with new-found love, thugs trying to extort money from him, overbearing sisters, and mountains of Healthy Choice pudding cups.
- Strap in, Paco. This episode is a long one.
- Hey, did anybody do any actual learning or work their senior year of high school? Apparently the BSP crew didn’t.
- What? You haven’t read/seen The Outsiders? How did you spend your youth?
- Breastfeeding? Birth Stories? Oh my!
- Apparently nobody wants to actually discuss this movie.
- David is obsessed with kristallnacht. Second reference in as many weeks.
- Nobody liked this movie, so there’s no defender in the crew.
- This is supposed to be a comedy and this comes as a surprise to some because it’s just not funny.
- Was Emily Watson’s character a mess or did she have it all together? She does, after all, drive a Geo Metro.
- Luis Guzman was completely wasted. I mean, he was wasted in this role, now wasted in general. You get what I’m saying.
- David doesn’t know what the term “punch drunk” means.
- True Detective is an amazing TV show. Jolie thinks it’s one of the best shows ever made, maybe.
- Matthew McConaughey is killing it these days with the awesome acting roles.
- The Hunger Games isn’t a very good book. There. We said it.
- Ender’s Game… oy!
- New Guardians of the Galaxy trailer: nerds (thus this crew) rejoice!
- Yogurt advertising versus Viagra advertising. Who’s chubbed up now?
- Student loans suck and other really obvious things.
- If we mention Fleshlights a lot, do you think they’ll send us free ones?
- Hey, kids! Don’t start smoking because it might make you look too cool.
- Important and interesting things that will probably go on David’s tombstone.
Discussing the film in this episode: