BSP Episode 322: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Join the gang as they discuss the 2014 film How to Train Your Dragon 2.
- Directed by Dean DeBlois
- Written by Dean DeBlois, Cressida Cowell
- Starring Jay Baruchel, Cate Blanchett, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T.J. Miller, Kristen Wiig, Djimon Hounsou, Kit Harington
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is the sequel to the Dreamworks tale of a teenage Viking nerd who discovers that dragons really aren’t all that bad. This movie begins five years after the first with all the same characters and the addition of Hiccup’s long-lost mother. The story begins that the town has embraced the dragons that live there and and that the dragons seem to like being used as transportation and to light fires. We learn they’re intelligent, loyal creatures. However some, like the mysterious and obviously-bad dude Drago Bloodfist, use them for evil. This movie doesn’t shy away from heartbreak, missing limbs, sheep tossing, or heights, but is an overall well-rounded family movie.
- Theater presentation, piracy, and Snakes on a Plane, audio-only version.
- We generally liked this movie because it’s entertaining, tells a solid (if old) story, and is rarely dull.
- Another revival of the Disney-has-no-place-for-mothers-in-movies discussion. Important since Hiccup’s mother plays such a key role in this movie.
- Sometimes, this movie bucks the expected tropes and that’s a good thing.
- Jaques Tati’s Mr. Hulot’s Holiday, background action, physical comedy, and other discussions just right for film studies class. Because we’re so fancy.
- The accents in this movie are out of control. We purists demand consistency.
- Stick around for fun anecdotes about Roger Corman and Ray Harryhausen. Kids, Google those names.
Featured in this episode: