Release date – 11/9/2012
- Steven Spielberg
- Steven Spielberg
- Kathleen Kennedy
- Tony Kushner
Based on Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Abraham Lincoln
- Mary Todd Lincoln
- Robert Todd Lincoln
Tommy Lee Jones
- Thaddeus Stevens
- Historical, but fun to watch.
- Two and a half hours of a movie about the law.
- Worst movie since Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunters.
- NOT about Lincoln, it’s about the Thirteenth Amendment.
- A mini-series about the Thirteenth Amendment might have been more interesting.
- (How’s that for across the board reviews?)
- Assume that the bulk of the audience that would see this movie probably believes that the Civil War was fought about slaves (only).
- A better movie: James Spader and Tommy Lee Jones’ wig on a buddy-cop adventure.
- If you love the law, don’t watch it being made. And salad bars.
- James Spader was great.
- Darrell thought Sally Field’s portrayal of Mary Todd Lincoln might have been the most accurate possible.
- There were a lot of things in the movie that were unnecessary to the story; things that just repeated and repeated bits of information about the Emancipation Proclamation and slavery.
- The hosts, for the most part, don’t like Spielberg’s attempt to force emotions.
- Disagreements over what were the important points in the movie.
- Very interesting side discussion about Ender’s Game.
- This movie was better when it was The American President.
- DeNiro does Lincoln.
Awards (partial list):
- American Film Institute – 2013 Movie of the Year
- Academy Awards – Actor in a Leading Role, Production Design
- BAFTA – Best Leading Actor
- Directors Guild of American – Outstanding Directorial Achievement
- Golden Globes – Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture
- Screen Actors Guild Awards – Male Actor in a Leading Role, Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Jones)
Your Producers for this episode were:
This episode was recorded: 5/8/13